Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.Instructions
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results.
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison - My science teacher in 9th and 11th grade always made homemade venison stew in a crockpot IN CLASS!
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare - Does Tuna tartare count?
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue - It's very close to the top of my list of things to eat!
10. Baba ghanoush - I may have eaten this at an Indian restaurant, but I don't remember what anything was called.
11. Calamari - I had some in Greece!
13. PB&J sandwich - One of my fave snacks. Delicious as a cupcake too!
14. Aloo gobi - I'm sure I had this at the Indian restaurant.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - Not a street cart, but a festival tent (I work for my parents in a festival tent all during the summer and early fall)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream - Ohhh yess!!
21. Heirloom tomatoes - I know they've been in something I've eaten at my favorite Italian restaurant.
22. Fresh wild berries - I have a blackberry bush in my front yard!
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans - I used to get this all the time with a grilled tuna steak at a little bakery/cafe my ex-boyfriend used to work at.
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche - Also on my list of things to eat soon!
28. Oysters - Yuk! My dad tricked me into eating one at a cookout when I was little. I haven't eaten one since.
29. Baklava - I'm 1/4 Greek (and I've been to Greece), so of course I've eaten my share of Baklava.
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas - My aunt brings these to us all the time. I'm not too fond of them.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut - Gross.
35. Root beer float - I wish I had one right now!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea - It's a fantasy of mine to have brunch at a fancy tea room...
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - I have these at all my parties! Peach jell-o plus mango vodka is the best!
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
44. Goat’s milk - I've had goat cheese which is made from goat's milk... That doesn't count, does it? :)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
47. Chicken tikka masala - The yummiest thing I ate at the Indian restaurant.
48. Eel - Had it last night on sushi!
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - My dad once got a ticket for making an illegal u-turn when he saw the HOT sign come on!
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Haven't had one in at least 10 years.
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores - Sooo delicious, and even better as a cupcake!
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - I can't figure out why these are bunched into one category?? I've probably sold over 10,000 funnel cakes in my lifetime working for my parents' festival tent.
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill - It would take a LOT of convincing to get me to eat this.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - My dad used to bring these home all the time when he worked at the Naval shipyard.
79. Lapsang souchong
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky - Dunno how this made it on the list at all! Haha. My ex-b/f used to be obsessed with this stuff.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef - Had it at an orientation dinner at Johnson & Wales, Charlotte.
87. Goulash - My dad used to make it all the time when I was younger!! So delicious!
88. Flowers - There are little pink flowers that grow in our grass. I guess they are weeds, but they taste like grapes when you chew them. Don't ask why I know this....
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam - Ew.
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish - Fried with some hot sauce and lemon juice!
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox - I've had plenty of bagels, and I've had lox, but never together.
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Only 28 out of 100! I need to get out more!